1. There was a recent article in the Welland Tribune in which Wainfleet mayor April Jeffs vowed “Wainfleet is my priority” when asked if there would be a conflict between her candidacy in the upcoming provincial election and her duties as mayor. I sure wish Mayor Sendzik, who spends half his time on social media shilling for the Liberals, would make a similar declaration putting the interests of his city above those of his party. And mean it. But I guess I’m asking too much.
2. St. Catharines Transit recently changed all its route numbers, adding 300 to each of them. For example, the daytime route number 5 is now 305, while the evening/weekend/holiday equivalent that used to be 105 is now 405. One simple question: Why?
2a. On second thought, maybe I don’t really want to know.
3. Appalled that the big dip in the bike lane on Martindale near Welland Vale Road which had been there for the past several months still had not been fixed, I did the responsible thing and reported it to Citizens First. To their credit, they did respond promptly, but their reply telling me that they had forwarded the matter to the region because it was a regional road was terse and less than friendly. In other words, don’t bother us, it’s not our problem. Note to city staff: This is St. Catharines. This isn’t Winnipeg.
3a. I’m still trying to figure out why no one else had reported it before now. For that matter, why had it even been left that way?
3b. As a friend once said to me years ago, “It’s hard being a good citizen, isn’t it?”
4. It is amazing what you can learn about your neighbors on garbage day. For example, you can find out if they prefer Coke or Pepsi, whether they prefer Pizza Hut to Domino’s, what their favorite breakfast cereal is or if they’ve just welcomed a new member of the family. Or maybe the Pampers box simply indicated the presence of a whiny liberal in the household.
5. Passing by this dumpster today reminded me of my grade 10 English teacher who would regularly pronounce this as “modrin:”
6. Please tell me this isn’t for gay lions:
7. I didn’t know there was a market for the waste products of Liberal supporters:
8. If you’ve got dirty coins …
9. I swear there must be a regional bylaw which states that all persons more than 50 pounds overweight must be in possession of a lit cigarette at all times.